Freelance Science Writer
Kailua, HI and San Antonio, TX / May 2011 to present
- Work has appeared in Nature Medicine, Science, Science News, Huffington Post, The Scientist, New Scientist, The Los Angeles Times, and many other publications based around the world.
- Assignments have ranged from brief news articles to in-depth feature articles, profiles, and trend stories covering a broad range of scientific and medical disciplines.
- Since 2016, have focused on work at institutions, organizations, and journals. Have written press releases, original content for websites and annual reports, and features for institutional magazines.
- Recent articles—just to name a few—have covered technological advances in noninvasive prenatal testing, how social stigma impacts healthcare, new trends in pediatric precision medicine, and why the inactivation of X chromosomes in stem cells matters.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Assistant Editor, HHMI Bulletin / Jan 2008 to May 2011
- Assisted in overall production of each issue of the quarterly HHMI Bulletin. Helped with story planning, content creation, art direction, and copyediting.
- Regularly wrote feature articles for the magazine, including pieces on prostate cancer, cholesterol drugs, cellular membranes, and profiles of researchers.
- Planned and produced multimedia content for the Bulletin website and iPad app, including photo slideshows, audio slideshows, and interactive Flash pieces.
- Managed the Bulletin mailing lists. Used metrics and surveys of these subscriber lists to track readership.
- Worked on other HHMI projects including research summaries for HHMI.org and the HHMI annual report.
Biochemistry Research Assistant
Johns Hopkins University / Jan 2003 to May 2006
- Received funding to pursue independent biochemistry research under the mentorship of Dr. Blake Hill. Was a co-author of a paper on mitochondrial dynamics published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
SCIENCE WRITING INTERNSHIPS
Science News Magazine / Sept 2007 to Dec 2007
Yale School of Medicine / June 2007 to Aug 2007
ScienceNOW /Apr 2007 to June 2007
Stanford School of Medicine /Jan 2007 to Apr 2007
The Monterey County Herald / Sept 2006 to Dec 2006
Living on Earth / June 2005 to Aug 2005
University of California, Santa Cruz
Certificate in Science Writing
Johns Hopkins University
2009 DCSWA Newsbrief Award
2007 Merck Science Journalism Student Award
National Association of Science Writers (2007 to present)
D.C. Association of Science Writers (Board Member 2010-2011)
Hawaii Science Writers (Founder, Webmaster 2014-2015)